Jeanette (chounohana) wrote,

  • Mood:


Came home Thursday evening to find Ben drooling excessively, something which has never happened before (Even if he had his mouth shut, there was a constant drip). Then a little while later he tried going to the toilet, but was unsuccessful, which is when I found out something had to be really wrong. Did a quick search online for animal hospitals that had a 24 hour service (It was about 21:30 by then, so after hours for clinics), found one in Shibuya and called them to let them know we were coming, then rushed off to catch a train.

Unfortunately animal hospitals tend to be inconveniently located (unless you drive a car I suppose), and it was a bit of a nightmare rushing through stations with a cat, in the heat, and never having gone to this place before. Once I got to the station nearest the hospital (about a kilometer from it), I found a taxi which brought us the rest of the way. Would have gotten lost trying to find it on foot in the dark.

Arrived at about 22:30, and there was only one dog there at the moment, so they could see Ben pretty quickly. They did some tests on him, resulting in this:


And I'm glad I did rush off to the hospital despite the late hour and ignoring the thought that I might be over-reacting. Cause according to the tests, he seems to have what the doctor referred to as "struvite". I think that's also what's know as kidney stones? Which can happen to humans as well, but in cats it can be fatal if not treated quickly. (Talking hours here, not days).

Does anyone here have any experience with cats and struvite???
Though I grew up with animals, Ben is my first cat, and this is the first time something like this has happened to him. (He'll be four years old this year; I've had him since January 2010)

The hospital gave me some medicines and samples of special food.

I've ordered some more struvite-care foods to give him more variety (He's picky), including some canned food, since he's used to a mix of that and dry food. But if anyone has any recommendations for food, I'd be happy to hear them.

If the medicine and food is successful in dissolving the stones/crystals, we might not have to hospitalize Ben for surgery. So I'm going to stay home for the next few days to keep an eye on him.

We were done at the hospital around half past midnight, but found out there was a night bus leaving from Shinjuku station at 1am, so made it just in time for that by taking a taxi there.

Ben's been acting like his normal self for the past couple of days, and there's not been any more problems so far at least.

Tired after the trip to the vet Thursday night:

Tags: cat, life

  • March!

    It's March, and the sakura will be blooming in a couple of weeks :) Most of my plans for this month will take part during the last half of the…

  • 千葉県

    The past 48 hours have been one long day with barely 30 minutes of poor sleep. But it has also been a lot of fun :D ↑That's mainly what…

  • Halloween

    Halloween live in Takadanobaba yesterday ♪ Second part of the Raichi(?) cosplay stuff (I've still not read that manga, and have no idea about…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.